Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

dtschmitz

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

it may be color enhanced but that's a typical 360 degree panoramic images used for making virtual environments.

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

humbugger
Yes, it is photoshopped. Also it looks like there is some bleeding of one of the pictures going on on the top left, with the linear movement of the stars. There should be no question about whether NASA will show manipulated imagery on their daily feed.

As for this technique, four flat pictures will be joined and then cropped to show you the movement of the celestial sphere above us.

Steve wrote
it may be color enhanced but that's a typical 360 degree panoramic images used for making virtual environments.
There is definitely something about the colors, although this may be due to the exposure only. The bright blue small streaks and dots on the right side of the lake is interesting though. This might be fireflies?

Steve actually showed a similar effect (panoramic flat sky => panoramic circular sky) where the sun never leaves the sky using panoramic photography (The Midnight Sun - Concave Earth / YouTube):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsnUynVK-Hc

Anyway.

This is in the caption:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150518.html wrote
Stars far in the distance appear to show unusual trails -- as the Earth turned -- because early exposures were artificially faded.
Does this make sense? Key words are unusual and artificial.

They will show you how the Planet Earth turns here, but this will just show you a simulation of a fixated celestial sphere: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110601.html

And their explanation of 'artifically faded' will lead you here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/06/19/time_lapse_planetary_panorama_by_vincent_brady.html

Definitely some bad astronomy.

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

yea humbugger, seems like they will bend over backwards to try to convince people of a rotating earth. They are so pathetic.

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

dtschmitz

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

dtschmitz

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

humbugger
These movements are visible because it is a composite of multiple panoramic pictures, to create a wide field of view. This is merely a flat representation of spherical movement.

Imagine the rocks on the left to be closer to you (say 100 yards to your north-west), under the middle of the sphere you see the shore, this could be 1000 yards away to your absolute north.

So we have depth (3D or X Y Z axes) to flatness (2D or X Y axes) conversion, where the depths will now warp.

I don't have sufficient knowledge of Aurora photography to tell if it is correct or incorrectly visible.

Here is another example of a somewhat circular trajectory that is converted to show flat surface. I will use the supposed ISS trajectory for this. Obviously, it doesn't simply move from north to south:
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/files/2012/06/iss-orbit.gif

Re: Is this NASA image photoshopped? I believe it is.

Well I mapped the image onto a sphere so fwiw...looks like there are a few seams.

http://i.imgur.com/SnV3vQ3.gif