Paris gun from WW1!!

Convexed
The Germans built a giant gun that could shell Paris from 80km away. I was reading that its supposedly the first gun to require the calculation of the coriolis effect for the firing solution...But I also read that the accuracy was terrible. Is the assumption that the Earth was rotating what ruined the accuracy? I should investigate the impact sites to see if they're skewed to one direction, which would be the case if they corrected for coriolis but the Earth wasn't actually spinning.

I came across this little gem of info:

http://www.landships.info/landships/artillery_articles/Paris_Kanone.html

"These experiments uncovered what appeared at first sight to be a strange result: that maximum ranges are best achieved at elevations of around 50 to 55 degrees, not the 45 degrees that geometry (and ideal conditions in a vacuum) would suggest. The reason, Krupp’s technicians quickly appreciated, was that the earth’s atmosphere grows thinner the higher the altitude. Consequently, at the higher elevations, a long-range shell is travelling for a greater part of its trajectory through very thin air, increasing the range. This phenomenon would be significant for the Paris Gun project."

W-w-w-what?! The explanation is bogus. They had to aim higher because the Earth is concave! Is there a way we could animate this in Lightwave or something? I think this could be a smoking gun, no pun intended (especially if the impact sites are skewed to one side of Paris).  Pictures of impacts might also give evidence for the angle of the shell as it hit, would it come in at more of an angle as opposed to nearly straight downwards?

Eric J

Re: Paris gun from WW1!!

Convexed
I bet this is one of the reasons why the Nazi's believed the Earth was concave!