Sprites - showing us the ice?

Trofim Lysenko
I was just looking at this guys page who does a lot of photography of sprites:

http://musubk.blogspot.com/2013/08/sprites-2013-update-5.html

One of the videos in particular caught my eye, in particular this on of a "sprite at 10,000 frames per second, slowed down by about 666x":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/musubk/9448254067/

(looping gif here)

Now admittedly it's hard to say what you're looking at, but I find it interesting that this is essentially a lightning bolt striking the bottom of the glass sky (or am I wrong about that?), and that it would take those conical shapes... I just wonder if perhaps it is taking the "path of least resistance" around the completely transparent, hanging ice, sort of an upside-down mountain.

Thoughts? Even if not, this stuff is obviously happening right at the level of the glass sky, and the perfectly flat dissipation patterns are quite interesting.

Re: Sprites - showing us the ice?

Primalredemption
Interesting the patterns highlighted look similar to the giant shooting star trail I saw